Ah, Mexican. A culinary cuisine I simply canNOT live without. This recipe is dedicated to those fast and furious week days when you don’t have much time to prepare dinner and/OR you’ve got the mex-crave blues. It’s also great for potlucks or family gatherings. I’m sure the kiddos will love it too.
I use ground turkey in this recipe simply because I adore the taste and texture much more so than ground beef. Plus ground turkey is lower in fat. It’s totally ok to have high fat especially because this is an “S” meal. However I’ve been on plan for about 4 months now and I’ve found that I can still enjoy S meals just as much without loading every S meal with tons of heavy fat. (I’m thinkin’ it also helps out in the long run for losing weight at a slightly faster pace. 😉 I encourage everyone to find their niche and enjoy the ride!)
- 2lb Ground Turkey (or Ground Beef. I love the flavor of Ground Turkey plus it’s lower in fat.)
- About 9 TBS Taco Seasoning (Still working on a homemade version. I used 1 ½ packets from the store. Sshh don’t tell.)
- 4-5 Low Carb Tortillas (I use La Banderita 5net Carb)
- 1 Cup Salsa
- 1 (10oz) Enchilada Sauce
- 1 ½ to 2 Cups Shredded Cheese (either Mexican blend or cheddar is fine – full fat or low fat is also fine.)
- Brown ground turkey, drain. Add taco seasoning. If using homemade seasonings, be sure to add about ½ cup to ¾ cup of water and bring to a simmer as it blends with the meat. If using packets, follow directions on back of packet.
- Grease 9x13 and spread 2-3 tortillas on the bottom.
- Spoon half of the turkey onto the tortillas then spread the salsa over the meat. Add cheese then last 2-3 tortillas on top.
- Spoon rest of turkey then pour enchilada sauce over the turkey. Lastly add cheese.
- Bake 350 for about 25 minutes or until bubbly.
- Optional: feel free to add shredded lettuce, low fat sour cream and/or black olives on top after baked!