I’ve always concealed a good Shepherds Pie Recipe in my back pocket. It’s been amusing to see it evolve over the years and now I’ve tweaked it once more and it fits in perfectly as a THM meal! I’m-a believer that spices and ingredients will change up a recipe so I encourage you, if you don’t have the spices/ingredients listed, grab em next time you’re at the store! It’s worth it, pinky promise. Unless of course you’re an adventurer like me and use recipes as “guide-lines” 90% of the time! ;D If you know you want it to taste a certain way, feel free to change it up! But I’m pretty sure it won’t taste like this yummy goodness below.
I start by placing all my veggies in a pot with water to get them steamed and soft. I also add my ground turkey to a large saucepan to start browning. Be sure to keep an eye on all the veggies so they don’t burn. I always add a lot of water.
Set aside veggies if they’re soft by now. Put cooked, soft cauliflower in a large mixing bowl and add butter, cream, parm cheese, cream cheese, salt and garlic salt. Mix with hand mixer or food processor until creamy. Super yum!
Spread cauliflower mash over the meat/veggies and bake on 350 for 30 minutes or until bubbly! I love to serve this dish with the Almond Flour Cheese Biscuits!
- 1 ½ - 2 lb ground turkey (or ground beef)
- 1 Small Sweet Onion (optional)
- ¼-½ cup sliced carrots (You can omit these if you want and add in a different veggie. I think a small amount is fine though.)
- 1 bag frozen green beans
- Cauliflower Mash:
- 2 (15oz-16oz) bags frozen cauliflower
- ⅓ Cup Heavy Cream or Half and Half
- ½ Cup Parmesan Cheese
- 1-2 TBS Cream Cheese (I use ⅓ less fat)
- 2 TBS Butter
- ¾ tsp. Salt
- Dash of Garlic Salt
- Section B
- 2 tsp. Worcestershire Sauce*
- 1 Large Clove Garlic, crushed/minced
- 1 tsp. Dried Basil
- ¼-½ tsp. Dried Oregano
- ½ tsp. Salt
- ¼ tsp. Pepper
- 1 (15oz) Can Tomato Sauce (Make sure there are no added spices, just regular tomato sauce)
- 1 Bay Leaf
- Put all the veggies (including cauliflower) in separate pots and start steaming until soft.
- Put ground turkey in a large pan and cook with onion. You don’t have to drain ground turkey unless you want to.
- Add all ingredients in Section B to ground turkey. Bring to a boil, cover slightly, reduce heat and simmer for 20-25 minutes.
- Meanwhile combine cooked cauliflower and next 5 ingredients. Beat with a mixer or food processor at medium speed until smooth. Set Aside.
- After the meat mixture is done, discard bay leaf. Then stir in the cooked carrots and green beans into meat mixture.
- Spoon meat/veggies into a 9x13 casserole dish.
- Spread/cover meat mixture with cauliflower mash.
- Bake at 350 for 30-40 minutes (until a tiny bit brown and bubbly around the edges).