So I was craving greek food but wanted something new for dinner, something never before cooked in my kitchen…after some digging around I found a yummy Greek Burger recipe by Gwen’s Nest (she has some amazing recipes). To my excitement the burger was accompanied by a recipe for Tzatziki Sauce! YES! But then I got to thinking, I only have ground turkey and we don’t have a grill to make a nice juicy burger, complete with grill marks. So figured I could make a “Greek Stir Fry” of some kind but THEN it clicked; lightbulb came on and the conveyer belt of creating finally started cranking a few inches. Greek Nachos. Duh! Already got the Joseph’s Pita Bread in my pantry to make pita chips and everything.
I used Gwen’s recipe (ingredients) for the Greek Burgers as well as the Tzatziki Sauce however I did a few of my own modifications to fit the nacho dish – See in “recipe” at the bottom of this post.
- Tzatziki Sauce:
- Followed Gwen’s Recipe for Tzatziki Sauce Recipe but left out the dill.
- Next time I might cut the recipe in half. It makes a lot of sauce (around 2 cups) which is awesome, but I don’t want to waste any of it!
- Greek Burger Recipe:
- Check out Gwen’s Greek Burger Recipe for ingredients but here are my substitutions:
- 1½lb ground turkey instead of ground beef
- ½-3/4 cup of crumbled feta cheese
- ¾-1 cup of chopped black olives
- Omitted the sundries tomatoes (just not a favorite of mine but you could totally leave these in if you like them.)
- I made the Tzatziki Sauce first then worked on the nacho meat.
- To make the meat, put the 11/2lb ground turkey in a large pan to brown.
- Add greek seasoning, garlic, and black olives while the ground turkey is cooking.
- While meat is browning, prep the Joseph’s Pita Chips using my recipe for the Perfect Pita Chips.
- Back to the meat: after it's cooked, drain fat from pan but don’t rinse!
- Stir in feta cheese.
- Layer chips on bottom, then greek meat mixture, and top with Tzatziki Sauce! I served with a side of garlic broccoli. YUM! And I didn’t even crave hummus with this because the feta cheese was so rich with the Tzatziki Sauce!