For this incredibly simple and quick but super tasty recipe, there are a few ways to make this warm comfort food. Casserole format or more of a hot steamy soup!
Creamy Cheesy Steamy Cabbage Casserole ~ S
Author: Jen Saves
- 1 lb. Ground Turkey or Ground Beef
- 1 Sweet Onion, Chopped
- 2 Large Garlic Cloves, Minced
- 1 Head Cabbage, Cored and Chopped
- 1 tsp. Salt (I use Kosher)
- ½ tsp. Pepper
- ½ - ¾ Cup Sour Cream (I use Reduced Fat)
- 2-3 Cups Shredded Cheddar Cheese
- ½ Cup Chicken Broth (optional)
- Preheat oven to 350.
- In a large pan (use your largest pan with a lid), brown turkey/beef with sweet onion on low-med. If using ground turkey, you don't need to drain.
- After almost cooked, season with salt and pepper and garlic. If you're straining the grease from the ground beef (if using ground beef), don't wash the beef because you will wash out all your seasonings.
- Chop up your cabbage while meat is cooking (depending on the size of your cabbage, you may only be able to fit ¾ of your cabbage in your pan. Eye-ball it before cutting the entire cabbage.)
- After meat is cooked, add your chopped cabbage to the large pan and steam with lid. Make sure there is some liquid in with your beef/turkey. Add a little bit of water or chicken broth if needed. If you're wanting to make more of a soup, add about ½ cup of chicken broth.
- Stir around meat/cabbage as the cabbage starts to cook down.
- Take off heat after cooked and dump in a 9x13 casserole dish.
- Stir in sour cream and cheese.
- Bake uncovered for 30-45 minutes or until bubbly and golden brown.