Ok y’all. I didn’t believe it until I tried it. Shut the front DOOR! “Cheez-It” Crackers that taste super rich, sharp and cheesy! Best part? There’s NO cheese in this recipe! HA! Ok well actually in my version, I do add about 2-4 TBS shredded parmesan cheese, but that’s optional and they taste just as good without the parmesan! What’s this secret ingredient you ask? It’s called Nutritional Yeast…(Feel free to marvel now)
I use Braggs brand and the cheapest place (I’ve found) to purchase this magic gold dust is from Vitacost.com. If you’re new to Vitacost, sign up here and get $10 off your first purchase! They also offer free shipping $49 and over! If you remember in one of my earlier posts about my Reese’s PB Chocolate Shake, Vitacost is where I purchase my Peanut Plus Flour too! I also buy my Braggs Apple Cider Vinegar from Vitacost. Have to have my Cherry Limeade Refresher EVERY day!
ANYway, apologies, I get excited about shopping at Vitacost (love their prices!) Hehe:) Ok back to the cheese crackers. So this recipe was invented by Whole New Mom and oooh Mom, I just can’t thank you enough!! You. R. Genius. See the original recipe here and my version below.
These are perfect for a snack by themselves or with Laughing Cow Cheese or as a side with lunch. Awesome source of protein and nutrients!! Sometimes I will reheat them in my little oven for about 3-5 minutes to get them crispy again. SO good!
Next, slice into squares/rectangles with a pizza slicer. Then, I found a way to make a cute little hole design by taking a straw and placing plastic wrap over the bottom, then gently press on each square!
Just a note: I’ve not experimented with any other flours or ingredients, so I’m not sure how it would taste with different ingredients! Feel free to experiment though!
- 1 TBS Butter
- 1 Egg
- 2 TBS Lemon Juice
- 1¾ Cup Almond Flour (I use Honeyville Brand)
- 3 TBS Nutritional Yeast (I use Braggs Brand)
- 2-4 TBS Shredded Parmesan Cheese (Optional)
- ½ tsp. Sea Salt plus a little more for sprinkling
- Melt butter in a large glass bowl.
- Mix in egg and lemon juice.
- Add almond flour, nutritional yeast, parmesan cheese and sea salt.
- Mix well to form a dough.
- Place dough on parchment paper and with another sheet of parchment paper on top, flatten out dough.
- Slice into desired shapes using a pizza slicer or knife.
- Sprinkle with sea salt.
- Bake (on parchment paper on a pan) 350 for about 10 minutes, check and remove any golden brown edge pieces.
- Bake for another 3-5 minutes or until golden brown, checking so they don't overcook.
- Let cool.
- Store in a ziplock or sealed container in the pantry. 🙂 No need to refrigerate.